History of GNBLUpdated Wednesday October 23, 2013 by Greater Newark Baseball League, Inc..
1953 - Newark Babe Ruth begins serving kids age 13-18.
1959 - A seperate baseball started in the Brookside community, serving kids ages 9-12 in a single division. It was operated by the Brookside community and under the name of Brookside Boys Baseball League,, the field was a typical baseball field with a grass infield and concrete block dugouts. It later added lights to enable evening play and practice. The grass infield was later removed.
1969 - The Brookside field was named “Charles R. Hoeflinger Memorial Field” in memory of “Chuckie” a dedicated player who passed away at age 14.
1980’s - Over time, the league grew to it’s largest member base where there were 4 divisions including T-Ball (~18 teams), B-Ball (~10 teams), Minors (~10 teams), and Majors (~10 teams). By this point, the league had shortened it’s name to “Brookside Baseball”. During this time baseball leagues were much fewer in number and Brookside Baseball was known as a dominate baseball organization. It also sported T-Ball fields on the back of the Marrows Road complex.
1983 - Newark Babe Ruth sends a team to the World Series.
March 4, 1987 - the league became Incorporated in the state of Delaware under the name Brookside Bambino Baseball League, Inc.
1990’s - New and improved lights were erected (~1991), the Army Core of Engineers added a rock bed to the field to improve drainage, and a sprinkler system installed, in the late 1990’s a wind storm blew down the block dugouts and new fence dugouts were installed.
2003 - Newark Babe Ruth sends a 16u team to the World Series.
2004 - Newark Babe Ruth and Brookside Bambino Baseball combine to make “Greater Newark Baseball League”.
2010 - the league hits it’s low point in membership of only 143 players due to competing leagues, competing sports, and other complexities.
2011 - the league changed it’s name officially (although it had been going by that name for some time) to “Greater Newark Baseball League, Inc., the back field was built (and named ”Freedom Field”) in an effort to reduce the costs of fields that were previously rented.
2012 - sod was added back to the infield and additional improvements to Freedom Field were made.
2013 - a new sign to rededicate the field was installed, and new block dugouts were installed at Charles R. Hoeflinger Memorial Field, Freedom Field received new benches and fence dugouts, and a new wind screen installed while boosting membership to 260.
Throughout the years, there have been numerous state runner-ups, 7 state championships, and 2 teams to reach the World Series.